I made this peice some tine ago and was not sure how to glaze it to show off the form.... then i realized that the twisting vines was the way to go to add to the motion. The second one has much more underglaze.
Afternoon Sunlight came in my studio ... seemed like a good time to take some pictures. I have been struggling with how to get the right light... maybe its a question if the right time.
Holding on to a belief that a better world will arise - slower paced, less wasteful and more caring. "Be excellent to each other" … come to mind from a Bill and Ted movie...
Wondering about going a head with the planed Esty drop. Is it the best of times for art or the worst of times to sell it?
I will also say that photo-ing, editing and uploading the work takes - me - a long time. Sheesh.
I decided I really like the strong cobalt blue on the white porcelain - a change from all the polychrome. It's crocus time! They will fire bright blue like the one behind.
I put some snow drops on the other side... which peek over the edge. Below is one I just made with a more abstract flower pattern I wanted a sense of movement and growth.
Using photos of my garden as sources it suddenly seemed quite natural that the crocosmia that blooms in mid summer should wind around the tall mugs.
The two bowls in the front have been fired -- the ones behind are waiting for the clear glaze and final firing.
a close up of the brush work. I have been using a variety of underglazes and a blue cobalt stain.
The blue lines hold the image together. There is a lot of guess work because one is not 100% certain of what it will look like after the fire. Some colors hold better than others - and what might look like a lovely pale wash may burn off.
Kiln is out. These serving bowls hold a quart and all have foot rings one can grab - so they make good lids for table or microwave. Love them in the sun light when the glaze colors develop some depth.
Need to photograph the rest... some plates and a few smaller bowls. Will give notice of the etsy store "drop" a week in advance.
As with a lot of my painting the intention is to create an image by working the with patterns and attributes of the image to create the impression of the flowers being more sharply defined than they actually are. As with all my painting I am interested in just what details we need to find in order to see the world around us.
It will be exciting to open the kiln and see just how the colors come out. I darkened some of the colors with cobalt.
I've been using Amaco underglazes in both the watercolor and jar forms along with some cobalt stain. The images are all from photos of my garden that I've taken with my phone over the past couple of years. I hope to to some more plates with a dogwood pattern, then we'll see how they come out of the fire.